Where you all are from!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Bird times

This time I didn't let the little finch eggs get knocked out of their nest in my hanging fern and now they've hatched! Funny looking little things, half covered in downy feathers.

This is the other nest in my other fern. I thought it was a finch nest, too, but the eggs are different (the smaller whitish ones). I will have to watch more closely to see what the bird looks like that is sitting on the eggs. Also, the speckled eggs are from a cowbird, I'm pretty sure. Google it and you'll see that a cowbird is a parasitic nester...they lay their eggs in other birds' nests. Pretty lazy! I'd like to have someone else raise my kids, too! :-) Just kidding!


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Laura Jelinek said...

Ahhh those babies are SO cute!

Jenny said...

That's so interesting about the cowbirds! I'd never heard of such a thing before.

Anita said...

Do you ever remove the cowbird eggs? I think they're considered parasites; if I remember correctly, a cowbird baby in the nest will often cause the host's own babies to die because of taking all the food, being stronger and developing more quickly.