Where you all are from!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Black Swallowtail update

Finally witnessed the Black Swallowtail butterfly laying eggs on my parsley. They look a little different from the Monarch's eggs. These are round and more creamy colored. Hope I can get a couple generations of raising in before winter. I don't have much parsley this year (heavy rainfall in the spring killed it down) so I was buying parsley at the store to feed the caterpillars that I found on my parsley. Then I wondered why they were dying off as soon as I brought them in. Duh.....pesticides! I admit I had to Google it, didn't think of it myself. Wonder what they do to us? Anyway, with the help of my mom today I was trying to brainstorm other sources of food for them. They eat plants in the carrot family...carrot tops, parsley, fennel, and wild carrot...anyone know what the other name for wild carrot is? Queen Anne's Lace! Yippee! I had my food source! So I picked some along the roadside today and transferred two little Swallowtail guinea pigs onto it. :-) I hope they will eat it and like it and grow! I will keep you updated!



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Laura Jelinek said...

Aside from Monarch that is my FAVORITE kind of butterfly. Good luck!!